Sunday, June 16, 2013

Me + TCU

Introductory Photo Essay


I'm originally from a small town called Henrietta, Texas.  We moved to Wichita Falls, Texas the second semester of my freshman year at TCU.  When I lived in Henrietta, I thought it was the most boring town on earth filled with everything but nothing to do.  Now that I have gone to TCU and moved to our new place in Wichita Falls, I have realized that I love my small home town of Henrietta.  It's full of the nicest, most quaint people. I wouldn't change growing up there for anything.   In high school, I couldn't wait to leave, just as most kids do.  But looking back, still glad that I left, I realized that I did learn a few things that have shaped me to who I have become.  For starters, be humble.  In a small town, people see and hear about everything you do.  Because of that I have learned to always be respectful of others.  Secondly, life is only as boring as you make it.  Henrietta may be small but life can always be fun wherever you are.  Lastly, sometimes time moves slower, and that's okay.  My freshman year at TCU FLEW by.  Growing up in Henrietta has taught me that it's okay to stop and smell the roses.


One thing I never thought I'd have this much of is friends.  I lived in Clark for my first year.  The people from the second floor and a few from the other floors honestly became the best friends that I could ever ask for.  Not all are pictured here, but I don't know what I would've done without them.  My first semester of college I wasn't used to having so many friends, which turned me into a little bit more of a procrastinator because I always wanted to hang out with them.  However, when second semester came around, I realized grades were just as important as friends; they had my back and tried to help me study.  They were there for me for my good grades and my bad grades, and all the times in between from late night trips to Krispy Kreme, random shopping trips to Target, or a completely spur of the moment trip to go see Zac Brown Band.  I wouldn't trade my freshman year experience at TCU for anything. 


This past year I joined the Kappa Eta Chapter of Sigma Kappa at TCU.  At first I was very apprehensive and didn't know what I had quite gotten myself into.  But I have come to love Sigma Kappa.  I am so happy I joined the mystic bond, and I am very excited to be a part this sisterhood.  In high school, I didn't participate in volunteering or philanthropic events that much, but being in Greek Life at TCU has taught me how important it is to give back to my community.  I know that this sisterhood has my back, and I have made friends and built relationships here that I might not have had otherwise.  This organization has taught me what it means to be a truly responsible and caring person. 

This past year at TCU has become a year of many firsts, and hopefully not lasts!  From my very first experience and new favorite tradition of the lighting of the HUGE Christmas tree, 


 to the first time (and hopefully the last!) I got ran over by a texting biker,
my first Big 12 football game, my first TCU baseball game, the first time to ever have a roommate, the first time I found people that I want to be friends with for life, and so many other wonderful experiences! 

Coming to TCU has been one of the best experiences and choices I have ever made, and I'm definitely ready for the "nexts."








2 comments:

  1. Alli, who would have thought texters were dangerous on bikes, too? I didn't realize you had just moved to Henrietta. Do you have another place that you consider "home", too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I never would have guessed!
      Oh, I just moved from Henrietta, and I live in Wichita Falls now. So I partly consider Wichita Falls "home." I changed my wording to be a little more clear! Sorry it wasn't so much!

      Delete